Rockstar Games, an American Video game publisher revealed a network breach on Monday that resulted in videos from the next highly-anticipated series of its Grand Theft Auto (GTA) 6 getting leaked.
“We recently suffered a network intrusion in which an unauthorized third party illegally accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems, including early development footage for the next Grand Theft Auto. At this time, we do not anticipate any disruption to our live game services nor any long-term effect on the development of our ongoing projects,” the company stated.
At the time of writing, a hacker has published nearly 90 videos of clips depicting GTA 6 gameplay apparently recorded during the initial phases of game development. The threat actor also claimed to have stolen GTA 5 and GTA 6 source code and other information and offered to sell some of it. He also requested Rockstar Games to make him an offer to prevent the whole information from publishing online.
Meanwhile, the targeted firm is working with security experts and law enforcement agencies to remove the leaked videos posted on multiple websites.
“We are extremely disappointed to have any details of our next game shared with you all in this way. Our work on the next Grand Theft Auto game will continue as planned and we remain as committed as ever to delivering an experience to you, our players, that truly exceeds your expectations. We will update everyone again soon and, of course, will properly introduce you to this next game when it is ready,” Rockstar added.
The alleged hacker behind the data leak claimed to be the same person who launched a sophisticated attack on Uber last week. The malicious actor attached images, videos, and source code as proof and linked to the New York Times coverage of the Uber data breach while describing it as his “previous work.”
In the case of Uber, the hacker published screenshots apparently showing that he gained access to cloud services, financial tools, cybersecurity products, and a HackerOne account. He also claimed said he is 18 years old and employed social engineering to intrude Uber systems.
However, the ridesharing firm claimed on Friday that it had found no evidence of sensitive user data getting leaked, and said all its services, including Uber, Eats, Freight, and the Uber Driver app were operational.
Read the full article here